Sex & Gender Dilemma
Hormones & Long Term Therapy
The Re-Assignment Surgery
TRANSSEXUALISM; SEX AND GENDER DILEMMA
Transsexuals are persons who have the gender identity (mind & feelings) of one sex, and the body of the other. The transsexual is born appearing to be male or female, but inwardly they feel confused. Transsexuals usually hide their feelings, but will confide their innermost thoughts to sensitive people who can provide useful advice, guidance and information;
* empathetic friends
* other transsexuals
* peer support transsexual groups
* doctors or other professional care givers
In addition, transsexuals can try to gather information
about their dilemma from a variety of sources;
* medical libraries or major universities
* public mental health departments
* public libraries
* national & local media shows
* gay bars and clubs
* computer and Internet
There is sex reassignment surgery but it will not solve all the problems set reasonable goals with a flexible schedule for one the emotional pain is far worse than any physical pain involved rejection by family & friends is painful losing your job is a possibility but is discrimination and is not legal one goal might be to blend in with the rest of society you may need to change male and female characteristics this is a timely process male to female transsexuals may experience some new second class status as a woman female to male transsexuals may experience greater authority as a male.
This can and in most cases will be an integral part of resolving transsexual gender dilemmas. It is recommended that a transsexual choose a therapist who has experience with transsexuals. If necessary, a therapists can refer their clients to professionals. Throughout your transsexual transition, your therapist should listen to you and care for you.
This is another integral part of making the transsexual transition. Hormones change your body's chemistry and must be administered under close medical supervision. The transsexual hormones are a lifelong necessity. Even after the reassignment surgery, hormones will continue to be needed.
WARNING: Using black market hormones can be DEADLY!!!!
SEX RE-ASSIGNMENT SURGERY;
In the United States of America and Western Europe, the operation is performed by experienced and knowledgeable private surgeons or clinical surgeons. As yet they are still few in numbers. In Canada, different provinces may cover the partial or full cost of the operation. If you are on social assistance, consult with your financial aid worker.
* Surgery alone for male to female ranges from $6,000. to $20.000.. This does not include up to $5000. or more for electrolysis and therapy.
* Female to male surgery is more costly and ranges from $20,000. to $50,000. Neither surgery guaranties sexual pleasure in your new sex
MALE TO FEMALE SURGERIES INCLUDE;
* penectomy; removal of part of the penis tissue and testicles
* vaginoplasty; construction of a vagina
*skin grafts to construct a female labia for a more authentic female appearance
FEMALE TO MALE SURGERIES INCLUDE;
* ovariectomy; removal of the ovaries
* hysterectomy; removal of the uterus
* mastectomy; removal of the breasts
* phalloplasty; construction of a penis
PREPARATION FOR SURGERY;
* be in good physical and mental health
* live in the gender of choice for a least 1 year at 24 hours a day
* it is recommended to stop hormones 1 week before surgery (on doctors advice)
* if possible make plans to say with a friend during recovery time
* divorce if you are married (consult a lawyer)
Transsexuals may be legally oppressed in a number of ways, from being barred from using a restroom (therapist letter is very helpful here), to job discrimination. A transsexual could be cited for disturbing the peace if someone started a fight with a transsexual, just because the original sex had been guessed. Have your drivers license, social insurance card, credit cards and insurance papers changed to your new name before your sex reassignment surgery. Check with your local library, department of motor vehicles and a lawyer for help. Have a doctors letter explaining why you are living full-time in your chosen gender. All of these should help you resolve some of your problems.
THINK ABOUT IT;
Sex reassignment surgery is a lifetime thing. Don't be in a hurry to take the final steps since changing back is NOT very successful.
HIGH RISK PROJECT SOCIETY 449EAST HASTINGS STREET, VANCOUVER B.C., V6A 1P5 tel;(604)255-6143 - fax;(604)255-0147 - email; email@example.com
These pages created by BR Promotions - firstname.lastname@example.org